Monday, May 26, 2014

Fruit Crisp Dump Cake (Cherry/Pineapple)



This is where fruit crisp meets fruit cobbler. I favor crisp over cobbler, so when I saw the recipe for a 'dump cake' that claimed to be of cobbler quality I saw the opportunity to join the two together. There's variations and other tweaks I'd like to try with the basic idea of this recipe, but I have enjoyed this take on it.

Ingredients:

For the Crisp:

1 cup quick oats (oat meal)
1 cup flour
1 cup PACKED brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup MELTED butter


For the 'dump cake':

1 can cherry pie filling
1 can crushed pineapple
1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter


Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
In a bowl mix the ingredients for the Crisp. It should be nice and crumbly. Press 1/3 of the crisp into the bottom of your lightly greased pan. I used a bundt cake pan. Spread the can of cherries atop the crisp evenly. Spread the pineapple over that. Sprinkle the DRY cake mix over the fruit ,covering it completely and evenly. Cut the butter into square (pats) and spread them out over the cake mix. Take the remanding crisp and sprinkle over the top.  Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the crisp is nice and brown and the cake mix under is 'cooked'.

Serve warm, topped with whipped cream or with ice cream. I can't wait to try this with other fruits!

No comments:

Post a Comment